David Goffin, fondly known as La Goff is a professional tennis player from Belgium. He turned professional in the year 2009 and has gained considerable success on the ATP tour. His highest ranking was 158 and he is currently at 647.
One can consider Goffin as an offensive baseliner since he plays a baseline oriented game. Goffin’s two-handed backhand is his strongest shot, particularly down-the-line. Goffin has won 53.9% of second serve return points in 2017, making him one of the best returners in the game. With his serve, he is capable of reaching 202 km/h (125 mph).
|Highest Ranking||#7 (20-Nov-2017)|
|Current Ranking||#71 (7-Mar-2022)|
|Social Media Profile||Instagram: david__goffin
Personal Information and Relationship
- He was only 6 when he began playing tennis with his father. Since Goffin’s father was a coach himself, tennis came naturally to him. His father, Michel, is a tennis coach at the Barchon Club in Liege. His mother’s name is Francoise and has a brother named Simon.
- While growing up, he looked up to Roger Federer as his idol.
- Besides tennis, Goffin also has a liking towards golf.
- On 9th September 2013, Goffin had to undergo a left wrist surgery.
- On 18th September of 2021, Goffin married Stephanie Tuccitto. Stephanie was Goffin’s girlfriend since 2018.
- During his early years as a professional, Goffin played Futures and Challenger tournaments. He qualified for Todi, Italy and then went on to win four consecutive matches. He lost to Simon Greul in a semifinal in straight sets
- In the year 2011 when he was a part of the ATP tour at Chennai Open, he won his first match against Somdev Devvaman. Somedev Devvaman was no. 1 player in India at that time. Goffin went to the second round to play against Stanislas Wawrinka and lost.
- The year 2012 was a game changer for Goffin. He was part of the ATP world tour tournament at the 2012 Chennai Open. He went on to defeat Xavier Malisse and Andreas Beck.
- Fast forward 2015, he reached the Davis Cup finals. And again in 2017, then went on to defeat No. 1 Nadal during the 2020 ATP Cup QF.
- Goffin was on his streak by becoming the 6th player to beat Nadal and Federer at the same event. He also beat Davydenko, Del Potro, Djokovic, Murray and Nalbandian.
- Goffin qualified for the Nitto ATP Finals as he broke into Top 10. He defeated World No. 1 and reached an ATP Masters 1000 final.
- By the end of 2017, Goffin was at career-high no. 7 as he defeated No. 1 Nadal and No.2 Federer en route to Nitto ATP Finals Championship match
- The year 2021 started well for Goffin as he entered the Antalya Open to reach the semifinals. He seeded 13th at the Australian Open. He went on to win a number of matches before he announced that he had to take a break.
- Goffin decided to end the 2021 early because he couldn’t continue being in pain from his knee injury.
Prize Money Earnings
According to some sources, Goffin’s prize money earned through tennis and endorsements is around $15,340,170.
Endorsements and Sponsors
- The racquet used by Goffin is by Wilson (Wilson Blade 98 18×20).
- Goffin’s clothing is sponsored by Acics and so is his footwear.
- Goffin is also associated with Volvo, AA drink, Setteo and Isdin.
As compared to a few other sports, there is no fixed remuneration for playing tennis. Though not confirmed, Goffin’s net worth is estimated to be over $15 million from tennis.
- So far Goffin has won 5 titles and also been a finalist for 9 other occasions
- In 2017, Goffin reached the final of the season ending ATP finals and that was the biggest highlight of his career.
- Goffin moved from Belgium to Monte Carlo, Monaco where he currently resides. He drives a Volvo XC60 and also owns a Mercedes Benz.
- Goffin has been part of several charity events. He participated in a charity exhibition which was at the Monte Carlo Masters for the benefit of the Monaco Red Cross.