Andrea Petkovic was born on September 9 1987, in the city of Tuzla in Bosnia and Herzegovina, SFR Yugoslavia. She is now a professional tennis player for Germany. Until now, she has 7 WTA singles and 1 WTA doubles titles to her credit.
She is often referred to as a child genius of the game as she showed early signs of interest in tennis from a young age and was encouraged by her parents to pursue it.
|Highest ranking (Singles)||No. 9|
|Current ranking (Singles)||No. 59|
|Social media profile||Instagram @andreapetkovici
Personal Information and Relationships
- Andrea Petkovic was born on September 9 1987, in Tuzla in Bosnia and Herzegovina, SFR Yugoslavia to Zoran and Amira.
- Her father is Serbian and her mother is Bosnian.
- She has a younger sister named Anja
- When she was six months old, the family relocated to Germany.
- Her father is a former Yugoslav tennis player and member of the Yugoslavia Davis Cup team, and he was a coach at a club in Darmstadt when he began taking her to the tennis courts.
- Andrea began playing tennis at the age of 6 and was coached by her father.
- She turned professional in 2006 at the age of 18.
- She is currently coached by Petar Popovic
- Petkovic turned professional in 2006 and by then she had already won 4 titles on the ITF Circuit.
- In 2007, She played her first Grand Slam tournament at the French Open where she reached the second round after beating Jarmila Groth. She later lost to Marion Bartoli.
- In 2008, in her match against Anna Chakvetadze, she suffered a cruciate ligament rupture in her right knee while playing. This prevented her from playing any tournament for almost eight months.
- In the same year in November, she won a tournament in Istanbul.
- In 2009, at the Australian Open, She beat Kathrin Wörle to reach the second round but then lost to Alizé Cornet.
- In the same year, Petkovic won her first WTA tournament in Bad Gastein where she beat Raluca Olaru in the final.
- In 2010 at Brisbane Australia, she reached the semifinal by defeating Iveta Benešová, Vania King, and Daniela Hantuchová. She then lost to eventual champion Kim Clijsters.
- In 2011, she reached the final at the Brisbane International by defeating Alexandra Dulgheru, Jelena Dokić, Jarmila Groth, and Marion Bartoli. However she lost to Petra Kvitová.
- In the same year, Petkovic won her second WTA Tour title in Strasbourg by defeating Anna-Lena Grönefeld, Zhang Shuai, Maria Kirilenko and Daniela Hantuchová. In the final, she won against Marion Bartoli.
- In 2012, she received treatment for a double stress fracture of her spine and a spinal disc herniation which kept her off the courts for 3 months.
- Petkovic made her comeback in a Fed Cup match in April 2012 where she lost to Samantha Stosur.
- She then underwent surgery for a torn ankle ligament and was kept off the court for another 4 months.
- Petkovic made her second comeback of the year at the New Haven Open where she beat Tímea Babos in the first round but lost to Dominica Cibulková in the second round.
- In 2013, she underwent surgery for a ruptured meniscus and returned to the tour in march.
- At the ITF Open de Marseille in June 2013,she defeated Anabel Medina Garrigues in the final. To win her first tournament in 2 years.
- In 2014, at the French Open. She beat Misaki Doi, Stefanie Vögele, Kristina Mladenovic and Kiki Bertens , to reach the quarterfinals. She then defeated Sara Errani to reach her first Grand Slam semifinal where she lost to Simona Halep
- In 2015, at the Diamond Games in Antwerp, she beat Alison Van Uytvanck to reach the quarterfinals where she beat Dominika Cibulková. In the semifinals, she defeated Barbora Záhlavová-Strýcová to reach her first WTA Tour final of 2015 where she won the title by beating Carla Suárez Navarro.
- In 2016, at the Brisbane International she beat Teliana Pereira and Ekaterina Makarova to reach the quarterfinals where she lost to Samantha Crawford in two sets.
- In 2018, Petkovic reached the semifinals in Linz but lost to Ekaterina Alexandrova.
- In 2021, she reached the semifinal at the Winners Open in Romania where she defeated Aleksandra Krunić to reach her second final. She then defeated Mayar Sherif to claim her first WTA Tour title since Antwerp in 2015.
Prize Money Earnings
She has earned a total of around US$ 8,502,204 from her participation in different championships. In fact, for the year 2022 so far, she has earned around US$ 128,168.
Endorsements and Sponsors
- All of Petlovic’s clothing and footwear on the court is sponsored by Adidas.
- Her tennis racquets are sponsored by Wilson.
- She is also associated with Gerolsteiner.
Andrea’s total net worth as of today is estimated to be around 10 million US$.
- She speaks French, German, English, Serbian
- Her favorite movie is Biutiful.
- Her favorite actors are Edward Norton and Javier Bardem.
- Her favorite types of music are rock and funk
- She enjoys reading and writing.
- Her favorite authors are Goethe, Wilde, and Flaubert.
- Her role models are Goethe and Che Guevara.
- She also enjoys going to museums and watching basketball when in America.