Vera Zvonareva was born on September 7 1984, in the Russian capital city of Moscow. She is now a professional tennis player for Russia. Until now, she has 12 WTA singles and 12 WTA doubles titles to her credit. She also won a bronze medal at the 2008 Beijing Olympics.
She is frequently referred to as the tennis wizkid due to her interest in the sport from a young age. While her playing style has been refined over the years, it is no wonder that her determination and skill have helped her reach the top.
|Highest ranking (Singles)||No. 2|
|Current ranking (Singles)||No. 103|
|Social media profile||Instagram @vera.zvonareva
Personal Information and Relationships
- Vera Igorevna Zvonareva was born on September 7 1984, in Moscow Russia to Igor Zvonarev and Natalia Bykova.
- It is no wonder that Vera chose sports as her career path as her father played Bandy in the USSR championship with Dynamo Moscow, and her mother played field hockey and was even the bronze medalist at the 1980 Moscow Olympic Games.
- Vera began playing tennis at the young age of 6.
- She is currently coached by Ruslan Evseechev.
- Vera made her professional debut in 2000 on the ITF Circuit where she won her first title.
- In 2002, Zvonareva won her second ITF title in Naples, Florida.
- In the same year, she reached her first singles final at Palermo where she lost to Mariana Díaz Oliva.
- She also reached the fourth round at the French Open where she lost to Serena Williams.
- In 2003, she won the title at the Tier-III event in Bol after defeating Conchita Martínez Granados in the final.
- She soon reached the quarterfinals at the French Open after defeating Venus Williams, in the fourth round but unfortunately lost to Nadia Petrova.
- In 2004, at the US Open, she won her first career Grand Slam title in mixed doubles along with Bob Bryan.
- In 2006, at the US Open, she won her first women’s doubles Grand Slam tournament by partnering with Nathalie Dechy.
- In the same year, she won the singles title at the Birmingham Classic.
- She also won the title in Cincinnati after defeating Katarina Srebotnik in the final.
- In 2007, she reached the third round of the US Open where she lost to Serena Williams.
- In 2008, she reached the final of the Qatar Open in Doha after beating Dinara Safina, Sybille Bammer, and Li Naen route. However, she lost the final to Maria Sharapova in three sets.
- In the same year at the Prague Open, she defeated Victoria Azarenka in the final to win the title.
- In 2009 at the Australian Open, she reached the semifinals by defeating Nadia Petrova and Marion Bartoli en route. She was defeated in the semifinals by Dinara Safina but her performance caused her ranking to rise to world No. 5 which was the highest of her career at the time.
- She then won the Pattaya Open after defeating Sania Mirza in the final.
- In 2010, she defended her title at the Pattaya Open by defeating Ksenia Pervak, Alberta Brianti, Sybille Bammer and Yaroslava Shvedova along the way. In the final, she defeated Tamarine Tanasugarn.
- In the same year, she reached her first Grand Slam singles final at Wimbledon, where she defeated Nuria Llagostera Vives, Andrea Hlaváčková, Yanina Wickmayer, Jelena Janković, Kim Clijsters, and Tsvetana Pironkova to reach the final, where she, unfortunately, lost to Serena Williams.
- In 2011 at the Qatar Open, she won the title.
- In 2015, at the Australian Open, she won her first-round match against Ons Jabeur but she lost the second round to Serena Williams.
- In 2018, at the St. Petersburg Ladies’ Trophy, she and Timea Bacsinszky won the doubles title after beating Alla Kudryavtseva/Katarina Srebotnik in the final.
Prize Money Earnings
She has earned a total of around 15,567,265 US$ from her participation in different championships. For the year 2022, she has earned US$ 450,373 so far.
Endorsements and Sponsors
- All of Vera’s clothing on the court is sponsored by Bidi Badu.
- Her footwear on the court is sponsored by Adidas.
- Her tennis racquets are provided by Prince.
Vera’s total net worth as of today is estimated to be around 14 million US$. While there is absolutely no confirmation on this figure, it is likely to be true due to the large amounts she collects as prize money and also from her endorsements.
- Vera loves traveling.
- Her favorite thing to eat is her mom’s cooking.
- Her favorite actor is Matt Damon.
- She enjoys playing other sports such as volleyball and hockey.
- She also enjoys reading and listening to music.
- She works with the International Rett Syndrome Foundation to increase awareness and raise funds for research.
- She got married on 23 August 2016 to Alexander Kucher.
- Her husband currently works in the logistic division of the German hardware store OBI.
- They also have a daughter Evelina who was born in 2016.
- Zvonareva graduated from the Russian State University of Physical Education with a degree in Physical Education in 2007.
- She also studied for a second degree in international economic relations at the Diplomatic Academy of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Moscow.