Maria Sakkari is a Greek professional tennis player who has tasted success in the world of tennis at a young age. Her best World ranking in the singles category is at Number 6, while her best WTA ranking in the doubles category is at No. 169.
In the 2019 Morocco Open, she won the singles title and also reached the semifinals at the Wuhan Open in 2017. Her victory at this tournament was her first Top – 10 win.
In the year 2021, she was hailed as the first-ever woman from Greece to reach a Grand Slam semifinal when she made it to the semifinals in both the French and the US Open tournaments.
She has an aggressive style of playing, but that seems to be working for her as she is continuously climbing the ranks and has managed to create a niche for herself in the world of tennis.
|Highest ranking||No. 6|
|Current ranking||No. 8|
|Social media profile||Instagram @mariasakkari
Personal Information and Relationship
- Sakkari was born on 25th July 1995.
- Her mother was a former tennis player who made her place in the Top 50 spot.
- She was born in the famous city of Athens.
- Both her parents are of Greek origin.
- She has a brother and a sister.
- She had an early start at the game when her parents introduced her to tennis at the age of 6 years old.
- When she was 18, she moved to Barcelona to train more intensely in the game.
- Serena Williams, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal were her favorite players, growing up.
- Reportedly, she has been dating the son of the Prime Minister of Greece since the year 2020.
- She is currently a resident of the Moroccan city, Monte Carlo.
- Sakkari played her first game on the ITF circuit in 2010.
- She participated in the Federation Cup and in the WTA series for the first time in the same year.
- In 2014, she claimed her first victory as a title on the courts of the ITF tournament in Heraklion.
- She carried on to win 3 more grass ITF trophies while making it to the final bouts in four more tournaments.
- She made her Grand Slam debut in the year 2015, and though she was eliminated, her performance was lauded.
- In 2016, she finally made it to the quarterfinals of the WTA tournament in Istanbul.
- In the same year, she reached the second round of the Wimbledon and broke into the Top 100 rankings of World tennis.
- In 2017 she reached the third round of three Grand Slam tournaments. She also reached the semi finals in Wuhan in the same year. She also reached the third round at Roland Garros and also the seminoles in Seoul.
- 2018 finally gave her her first WTA win and she broke into the Top 30 in the same year, cementing her position among some of the topmost ranking stars.
- In the next year, she progressed on in the game with her first WTA title and was also the semifinalis in the Rome tournament.
- 2020, was a roller coaster ride for her with some spectacular wins against tennis giants, like Madison Keys and Belinda Bencic. She was also stopped on her way to winning the St. Petersburg trophy by rising star Sabalenka. The win against Serena Williams was probably the high point of her career and she broke into the Top 20 in the same year.
Prize Money Earnings
Her total prize money so far is US $ 5,827,404. The matches she has won in the past have contributed heavily to this amount.
Her estimated net worth is around 7 million US$.
Endorsements and Sponsors
- Sakkari currently sports Adidas apparel and shoes on the court. Interestingly, she used to be a brand ambassador for their rivals Nike, for a long time before she bifurcated to Adidas.
- Wilson is the racquet company that sponsors her racquets.
- She also has a sponsorship deal with the luxury Swiss watch company Rolex.
- Apivita is a Greek company that manufactures natural and healthy beauty products. Sakkari is a promoter of the brand.
- Dior is a French fashion house that is famous all over the World. They have a contract with the Greek ace tennis star as well.
- She also promotes Nespresso which is a luxury coffee making machine you can install in your kitchens.
- The National Bank of Greece is another brand associated with her.
- The media giant Cosmote is another brand that is tied with her. The company mainly promotes sports channels, movies and documentaries.
- The brand Reply is one that sells fashion items and accessories and is also partnered with her.
- She also works in association with Green Cola, a brand that offers healthy soft drinks.
- She is represented by the sports agency StarWing Sports.
- Naomi Osaka is considered to be one of her strongest rivals on the court.
- In the year 2020, she was credited with being the player who served the most aces in the World.