Irina-Camelia Begu was born on August 26 1990, in the Romanian capital city of Bucharest. She is now a professional tennis player for Romania.
Until now, she has 4 WTA singles and 9 WTA doubles titles to her credit. She also has won one singles title on the WTA 125K series, as well as 12 singles and 19 doubles titles on the ITF Circuit.
She had great success as a junior and reached the doubles semifinal at the 2007 Wimbledon Championships with Oksana Kalashnikova.
Later, as a senior, she reached the semifinal at the 2018 Australian Open and the quarterfinals of the 2017 French Open and 2018 Wimbledon Championships. In singles, she reached the final at the 2014 Kremlin Cup but lost to Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova.
|Highest ranking (Singles)||No. 22|
|Current ranking (Singles)||No. 56|
|Social media profile||Instagram @irina_camy15
Personal Information and Relationships
- Irina-Camelia Begu was born on August 26 1990, in Bucharest Romania to Paul and Steluta.
- Her mother Steluţa is a civil servant, while her father Paul is an electrician.
- She also has an older brother, Andrei.
- She started playing tennis at the young age of three-and-a-half years old and was introduced to the sport by her aunt Aurelia Gheorghe who was a former tennis player.
- She is currently coached by Gabriel Moraru
- She won her first singles junior title at the Grade-2 Raquette D’Or in Mohammedia in June 2006.
- She started the 2007 season with the quarterfinal of the Grade-1 Coffee Bowl in San José.
- At the 2007 French Open, she made her Grand Slam debut but lost in the first round to Ksenia Lykina.
- Irina made her professional debut on the ITF Circuit in 2005 at a $10K event in Bucharest.
- In 2006, she won her first ITF title at Brașov by defeating Andreea Mitu in the final.
- In 2009, she made her WTA Tour debut at the Hungarian Open but lost to Shahar Pe’er in the first round.
- In 2011, she won her first $100K title on the ITF Circuit at the Copa Bionaire in California after defeating Laura Pous Tió in the final.
- She reached her first WTA final at the Andalucia Tennis Experience in 2011 where she defeated Klára Koukalová and Svetlana Kuznetsova to reach the final but unfortunately lost to Victoria Azarenka.
- She won her first WTA title at the US Open where she defeated Donna Vekić in the final.
- In 2014, she reached the semifinal of the Portugal Open in Oeiras, after defeating Kaia Kanepi and Kurumi Nara, but she then lost to Carla Suárez Navarro.
- In 2015, she won the WTA title at the Korea Open after defeating Aliaksandra Sasnovich in the final.
- In 2016, she won the title at the Brasil Tennis Cup, after defeating Tímea Babos in the final.
- In 2020, at the Indian Wells Challenger, she defeated Misaki Doi in the final.
- She also participated in the London Olympics in the women’s singles but lost in the first round to Victoria Azarenka.
Prize Money Earnings
She has earned a total of around 6,398,182 US$ from her participation in different championships.So far for the year 2022, she has earned US$ 312,738.
Endorsements and Sponsors
- FILA is the company that sponsors all of her apparel and footwear on the court.
- Her tennis racquets are provided by the famous company Babolat.
Begu’s total net worth as of today is around 4 million US$. While there is absolutely no confirmation on this figure, it is likely to be true due to the large amounts of cash she collects as prize money and also from her endorsements.
- She has always been into sports and Did gymnastics and played handball from a young age.
- Her tennis idol growing up was Martina Hingis.
- Best early tennis memory was winning European 16 & Under title in 2006
- Favorite city is New York
- Her favorite tournament was Marbella.
- At the age of 14, Irina took part in a one-month tour promoted by the ITF with seven other girls and eight boys, joining the likes of Grigor Dimitrov and Ricardas Berankis.