Elina Svitolina is a well known Ukrainian professional tennis player. Born on 12th September, 1994, as Elina Mykhailivna Svitolina, she has reached a career-high ranking of World No. 3 in singles and 108 in doubles. Svitolina has won a total of 16 WTA Tour singles titles and has finished runner-up three times.
Svitolina made it to the world’s top 50 in July 2013 becoming the first Ukrainian woman to reach the top 10 in rankings, surpassing the ratings of Alona Bondarenko. She won her first WTA title in 2013 and five additional titles until 2017, propelling her into the top 10.
Her titles include the WTA Finals (2018), the Dubai Tennis Champions, the Italian Open and the Canadian Open. She won titles in doubles twice at the Istanbul Cup in 2014 and 2015 and has reached two Grand Slam semifinals at the Wimbledon Championships and the US Open, both in 2019.
|Coach||Andis Juska, Günther Bresnik|
|Prize money||US$ 21,342,069|
|Highest ranking||No. 3|
|Current ranking||No. 15|
|Social media profile||Instagram – @elisvitolina
Twitter – @ElinaSvitolina
Personal Information and Relationships
- Svitolina was born to Ukrainian parents Mikhaylo Svitolin and Olena Svitolina, in Odessa.
- She has an older brother, Yulian.
- As a child, looking at the kind of attention her brother got, playing tennis and this inspired her to take on the sport as well.
- She started playing tennis at the young age of five years.
- A businessman Yuriy Sapronov was impressed seeing her play at one of his children’s tournaments when she was 12, leading to his investment in her training and further professional development.
- When she was 13, Sapronov became her sponsor, following this Svitolina and her family moved to Kharkiv.
- Svitolina married ATP tennis player Gael Monfils on 16th July, 2021,, following their brief relationship since 2019 and their engagement on 03rd April 2021.
- Establishing herself as an all-round player, Svitolina has reached a career-high ranking of 3rd in September 2017. In her tennis career, she has scored victories over grand slam champions such as Angelique Kerber, the Williams sisters, Perta Kvitova, Garbine Muguruza, Caroline Wozniacki and several others.
- Although she hasn’t won any grand slams yet, she boasts of winning 16 WTA titles, including the WTA finals in Singapore 2018 where she defeated Sloane Stephens.
- To add to her credits, Svitolina has also clinched all four mandatory WTA championships and has made it to the semi-finals at Wimbledon and US Open.
- A majority of her titles came in the 2017 season, including her wins in Rome, Istanbul, Dubai and Toronto.
- In 2019, her semi-final run to the quarterfinals at Wimbledon was her personal best record. Later that year, she made it to the last four rounds at the US Open.
- In 2020, Svitolina added two more titles to her kitty, at Monterrey and Strasbourg. During the pandemic affected season, she also reached the French Open quarter finals and ended the season as the world no. 5. She also won Bronze at the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo.
- Svitolina then traveled to Michigan for the inaugural Chicago Open as the top seed, where she won her 16th WTA title after defeating Alizé Cornet in the final match, in straight sets.
- In the beginning of 2021, she reached the quarterfinals in Abu Dhabi.
Prize Money Earnings and Net worth
To date, the Ukrainian tennis player has earned a total of US$ 21,342,069 as prize money in her career. In 2020, Svitolina was also the 7th highest-paid female athlete in the world.
She has an estimated net worth of $12 million.
Endorsements and Sponsored
Elina is currently sponsored by:
- Nike – One of the leading sports brands with a key focus in manufacturing quality footwear & apparel.
- Wilson – Known for their branded tennis equipment, accessories and apparel
- Superior Golf and Resort – A perfect getaway from the rush and hastiness of modern life, the resort and spa is well known for their golf course in Ukraine.
Her other endorsements include:
- Women’s wear brand Poustovit – A European brand of women’s wear known for it’s courageous take on aesthetics
- Jan Niche Concept – A well established perfumery & cosmetics brand in Ukraine
- Eafit – a private Colombian university located in Medellín, Columbia.
- In February 2017, after winning the title in Dubai, Svitolina became the first Ukrainian woman to break into the top-10 rankings.
- In 2021, Svitolina won the Olympic bronze medal in the women’s singles tournament at the 2020 Summer Olympics and became the first Olympian to win a medal in tennis for Ukraine.
- Svitolina officially still resides in Kharkiv but trains abroad, which limits her presence in Odessa and/or Kharkiv and also has a residence in London.
- Unusually, she was named after the famous Ukrainian actress Elina Bystritska
- She has six wins over a world No. 1 to her name, three over Kerber, two over Halep and one over Serena Williams.