Astra Sharma was born on September 11, 1995, in Singapore. Her family emigrated to Perth, Western Australia in 2005 and therefore she is now a professional tennis player for Australia.
Until now, she has won 1 WTA singles title and 3 WTA doubles titles to her credit. She has also won seven singles and four doubles titles on the ITF Circuit.
|Highest ranking (Singles)||No. 84|
|Current ranking (Singles)||No. 90|
|Social media profile||Instagram @astrasharma
Personal Information and Relationships
- Astra Sharma was born on 11 September 1995 in Singapore to Devdutt Sharma and Susan Tan.
- Her father is a Singaporean Indian and has roots in Uttar Pradesh in Northern India and her mother is of Singaporean Chinese origin.
- She also has a younger brother named Ashwin and a sister named Tara.
- Astra was interested in sports from a very young age as both her parents played sports. In fact, her father was a high jumper and her mother was a sprinter from CHIJ Saint Theresa’s Convent.
- Though Astra was born in Singapore, her family moved to Perth in Western Australia in 2005 when she was 10 years old.
- She then attended the Applecross Senior High School.
- She has also trained at the Bullcreek Tennis Club.
- She is currently coached by David Taylor.
- Astra made her professional debut in 2011 on the ITF Circuit.
- She continued to play on the ITF Circuit for the next 3 years but did not win any title.
- In 2015, She won her first title on the ITF Circuit at Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt.
- In 2016, she partnered with Frances Altick to win two doubles titles on the European ITF Circuit.
- In 2017, she won 2 more titles on the ITF Circuit, one at Târgu Jiu and the other at Graz.
- In 2018, she won her fourth singles title on the ITF circuit in Baton Rouge.
- In the same year, she won her fifth singles title on the ITF Circuit at Gatineau, Canada.
- In 2019, at the Australian Open, she defeated Priscilla Hon to win the first round but lost in the second round.
- At the same event, she had better luck in mixed doubles where she and John-Patrick Smith reached the final after defeating Bruno Soares and Nicole Melichar in the semifinals but lost to Barbora Krejčíková and Rajeev Ram in the final.
- In the same year at the Copa Colsanitas, she reached her first WTA Tour final but lost to Amanda Anisimova.
- Soon after that, she reached the second round of the Strasbourg International and lost in the first round at the French Open, Wimbledon and the US Open.
- In 2020, at the Australian Open, once again she partnered with John-Patrick Smith in mixed doubles and they reached the semifinals.
- Soon after that, Sharma reached the second round of the Monterrey Open.
- In 2021, at the Charleston Open, she won her first WTA Tour-level title when she defeated Ons Jabeur in the final.
- Soon after that, she lost the first round of the Gippsland Trophy.
Prize Money Earnings
She has earned a total of around 1,347,543 US$ from her participation in different championships. In fact, for the year 2022, she has earned around US$ 165,484 so far.
Endorsements and Sponsors
- All of Astra’s clothing and footwear on the court are sponsored by the Canadian company Lululemon.
- She is sponsored by Wilson for her tennis racquets. She currently uses the Wilson Blade 98 racquet.
- She has a sponsorship with sunglass mark Maui Jim and is often seen wearing sunglasses on the court.
Astra’s total net worth as of today is estimated to be around 5 million US$. While there is absolutely no confirmation on this figure, it is likely to be true due to the large amounts of cash she collects as prize money and also from her endorsements.
- She is represented by talent agency O2.
- She majored in medicine, health and society at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee.
- She also played college tennis at Vanderbilt University and was selected to the 2014 SEC All-Freshman team.
- In 2017, she was the SEC Player of the Year.
- She is named after the Astras which is a supernatural weapon wielded by the Hindu gods.
- Her nickname at college was “Roo”
- She admires Justine Henin and Juan Martin del Potro
- She lists Thierry Henry as her favorite non-tennis athlete.
- In 2022, she earned a master’s degree in Applied Physiology and Kinesiology from the University of Florida.