Alizé Cornet was born on January 22 1990, in Nice, France. She is now a professional tennis player for France. Until now, she has 6 WTA singles and 3 WTA doubles titles to her credit. She has also earned three singles and three doubles titles on the ITF Circuit.
In 2014, Cornet became known for defeating world No.1, Serena Williams and did so on three occasions, the first was at the Dubai Championships where she recorded a straight win over Williams in the semifinals, this resulted in Cornet reaching her biggest singles final in almost six years. Then she defeated her at the Wimbledon Championships. Her third win came in the second round of Wuhan when Williams retired due to an illness.
|Highest ranking (Singles)||No. 11|
|Current ranking (Singles)||No. 34|
|Social media profile||Instagram @alizecornet
Personal Information and Relationships
- Cornet was born in Nice, France on January 22 1990 to Francis and Patricia
- Her parents were avid sports fans and encouraged her and her brother to take up athletic pursuits from a young age.
- Her brother Sebastien took up tennis first, and Alize soon followed at the young age of four. She went on to become much more successful than her brother in youth tournaments, and eventually Sebastien became her agent.
- She is currently coached by Sandra Zaniewska.
- She was previously coached by Georges Goven, Pierre Bouteyre and Laurent Orsini.
- Cornet made her Grand Slam singles debut at the French Open in 2005 at the age of 15. She defeated Alina Jidkova in the first round but lost to Amélie Mauresmo in the second round.
- At the 2006 French Open, she beat Virginia Ruano Pascual in the first round but lost to Tathiana Garbin in the second round.
- At the 2007 French Open, she lost in the first round to Venus Williams.
- Cornet made her Wimbledon singles debut in 2007.
- Cornet made her US Open singles debut in 2007.
- In 2008, Cornet entered the Rome Masters and beat Vera Dushevina in the first round, Francesca Schiavone in the second, Svetlana Kuznetsova in the third to reach the semifinals where she defeated Anna Chakvetadze to reach her first Tier-I final but lost to Jankovic.
- In the same year, she won her first WTA title at Budapest. She defeated Magdaléna Rybáriková, followed by Anna-Lena Grönefeld in the quarterfinals. In the semifinal she defeated Gréta Arn and won the final against Andreja Klepač.
- In 2010, Cornet won her first tournament of the year in doubles at the Internationaux de Strasbourg, playing with Vania King.
- In 2012, Cornet won the Bad Gastein tournament by defeating Yanina Wickmayer in the final.
- In 2013, she won the Internationaux de Strasbourg, defeating Lucie Hradecká in the final.
- In 2014, At the Dubai Championships,she defeated Serena Williams for the first time to reach the finals. However, she lost in straight sets to Venus Williams, in the final.
- In the same year at the Guangzhou International. She reached the final by defeating Yulia Putintseva, Shahar Pe’er, Hsieh Su-wei and Timea Bacsinszky but then lost to Monica Niculescu.
- In 2016, at the Hobart International, Cornet won her fifth WTA singles title beating Eugenie Bouchard in the final.
- In 2018, she won her sixth WTA Tour singles title at the Swiss Open, held in Gstaad.
- In 2019 at Hobart, she reached the semifinals where she lost to Sophia Kenin.
- In 2020 at the Internationaux de Strasbourg, Cornet was defeated in the second round by Elena Rybakina.
- In 2021 at the German Open. She reached the semifinals defeating Bianca Andreescu and Garbine Muguruza en route. She eventually lost to Belinda Bencic.
Prize Money Earnings
She has earned a total of around 8,692,388 million US$ from her participation in different championships. The prize money for the year 2022 so far is $445,791.
Endorsements and Sponsors
- Alize’s clothing and footwear on the court has been sponsored by Lotto since 2018.
- She was previously sponsored by Lacoste for her clothing and Asics for her footwear at the start of her career.
- Her tennis racquets are provided by the famous company Babolat Cornet which specifically endorses the Pure Strike range of racquets..
Cornet’s total net worth as of today is 10 million US$. While there is absolutely no confirmation on the figure, it is likely to be true due to the large amounts of cash she collects as prize money and also from her endorsements.
- She authored a french book in 2018 called’ sans compromis’ or without compromise.
- She lives with her partner, Michael Kujaz, who used to be her coach.
- Her favorite surface to play on is clay
- She is very active on social media and has amassed a large number of followers both on instagram as well as twitter.