Alexander Zverev is a German tennis player who is widely acknowledged due to his constant presence in the Top 10 rankings list by ATP since the year 2017. He is the only player, excepting the Big Four in recent times to hold 5 ATP masters 1000 titles.
He has claimed a staggering 19 ATP titles in singles and two in doubles.
He is also a former World No.1 in the junior category. He also won the junior Grand Slam singles at the 2014 Australian Open. He created history at the age of 17 by becoming one of the youngest Challenger title winners to claim the title.
While he was still in his teens, he won two ATP titles and also managed to beat the tennis ace, and World No 3 at the time, Roger Federer.
He made his debut in the Top 20 when he was still only 20 years old. This made him the youngest player to do so since Novak Djokovic.
|Coach||Alexander Zverev Sr.|
|Prize Money||US$ 30,047,875|
|Highest Ranking||No. 3|
|Current Ranking||No. 3|
|Social Media Profile||Instagram: @alexzverev123
Personal Information and Relationships
- Zverev was born on 20 April 1997 in Hamburg.
- Both his parents were professional tennis players so he had an early introduction to the game.
- He has an older brother who is about 10 years older than him and is also a professional tennis player.
- Until the collapse of the Soviet Union, his parents were not allowed to play out of the country.
- Later, they took up jobs as coaches in Hamburg and ended up settling down in Germany. This gave Zverev good exposure and better opportunities to grow and learn in the game of tennis.
- Since he took up playing at an early age, Zverev’s parents often allowed their sons to compete against each other at home.
- Zverev was very competitive even as a child and often did not leave the court until he had won a match.
- Later, his father began to coach his brother, Mischa while his mother began coaching him.
- It has been noted that his father had a stricter and more physically grueling approach to the game, while his mother was easier on him.
- Zverev has often credited his mother for his good technique at tennis and also for his strong backhand strokes.
- He is currently dating Sophia Thomalla.
- He has a daughter with his ex-girlfriend Brenda Patea. She was born in 2021.
- In 2016, he won his first ATP title at the St. Petersburg Open. In the same year, he became the first teenager to record 3 consecutive victories against top-ten opponents since Boris Becker.
- In 2017, at the Open Sud de France he claimed victories in both singles and doubles categories. This gave him his second ATP title along with a double masters title in the same year, claiming both the Washington and Canadian Open tournaments.
- In the year 2018, Zverev managed to hold onto his spot in the Top 5, all through the year.
- He clinched the Madrid Open in the same year making it the third Masters title of his career.
- He also defended his title at the Bavarian International Tennis Championships that year.
- Zverev struggled through the beginning of 2019 and blamed it on a lawsuit that kept him distracted.
- In the latter half of the year, he reached the semifinals of the German Open and quarterfinals of the Canadian Open. He finished the year at No. 7.
- He had a good run at the 2021 Olympics and also qualified for ATP Finals for the sixth time.
Prize Money Earnings
Though it cannot be confirmed, US$ 23,308,531 is considered to be the total amount he has earned to date, on the court.
Endorsements and Sponsors
- Zverev’s rackets are sponsored by Head. He has been using the brand since he was 5 years of age.
- The Swiss luxury watch brand Richard Mille chose him as its brand ambassador.
- He is also the face of Peugeot.
- Adidas and Z Zenga are some other big names attached to him.
- In 2021, he also joined hands with Rolex to endorse the timepiece brand.
His net worth is somewhere around 17 million USD which he has gathered from various matches and endorsements.
- At the Laver Cup in 2018 and 2019, Zeverev’s exceptional performance led to Team Europe’s success.
- He can speak German, Russian and English fluently.
- Since he was 12 years old, he spent most of his winters in Florida, at the Saddlebrook Academy of tennis.
- He lives in Monte Carlo, Monaco.
- Zverev’s middle name is Sascha.
- His tennis idol is Roger Federer.
- In his spare time, he indulges in playing basketball and golf, both of which he enjoys thoroughly.
- His best friend is Marcelo Melo, the former French Open and Wimbledon champion.
- Zverev filed a lawsuit against ACE Group International, citing an oppressive contract, but he later agreed to settle the matter out of court.
- In 2020, Olga Sharypova, one of Zverev’s ex-girlfriends accused him of physical and emotional abuse during the course of their relationship. Zverev denied all the allegations and nothing was proven.