Ajla Tomljanovic was born on May 7 1993, in the Croatian capital city of Zagreb. She is now a Croatian-Australian professional tennis player. Until now, she has 4 singles and 3 doubles titles in the ITF Circuit.
Tomljanović was an accomplished junior player, having won the 2009 Australian Open girls’ doubles title with Christina McHale. She reached a combined career-high junior ranking of world No. 4 on 30 March 2009.
Before 2014, Tomljanović played for her country of birth, Croatia. After obtaining permanent residency in Australia, She began competing for Australia at the 2014 US Open but For the next four years, she was required to represent Croatia at all non-Grand Slam events until she was granted Australian citizenship in January 2018, after which she was allowed to represent the country at all events on the WTA Tour.
|Career titles (ITF)||4|
|Highest ranking (Singles)||No. 38|
|Current ranking (Singles)||No. 39|
|Social media profile||Instagram @ajlatom
Personal Information and Relationships
- Ajla was born in Zagreb Croatia to Ratko and Emina.
- Her father is Croatian and mother is from Bosnia.
- Her father used to play handball professionally and even won the 1992 and 1993 handball European Cup.
- She has an elder sister Hana who used to play tennis for the University of Virginia.
- Ajla was introduced to tennis at the young age of 6.
- Soon after she moved to Florida for training at the age of 13.
- She is coached by Fernando Martínez and Rene Gomez
- Tomljanović played her first professional ITF Circuit event in October 2008 in Mexico City and lost to Estefanía Craciún in the semifinals.
- In 2009, she won her first ITF doubles title, partnering with fellow Croatian Petra Martić.
- In 2012, Mononucleosis caused Ajla to stay off the court for most of the season.
- At the french open in 2014, she advanced to the fourth round of a Grand Slam for the first time in her career, en route she defeated Francesca Schiavone, Elena Vesnina and Agnieszka Radwańska. She then lost to Carla Suárez Navarro. Her performance improved her ranking from No. 72 to No. 51.
- Tomljanović started the 2015 season at the Brisbane International. In the first round, she scored the biggest win of her career, defeating former world No. 1 Jelena Janković, in straight sets. However, in the next round, she was defeated by Elina Svitolina.
- Tomljanović reached her first WTA Tour final at the 2015 Thailand Open but she was defeated by Daniela Hantuchová. Her performance enabled her to rise to world No. 49
- In 2016, Tomljanović underwent shoulder surgery, thus she was off the court for most of the season and she ended the year ranked as 930.
- In 2017 as she returned back to competitive playing, she ranked no 151.
- In 2019, At the Miami Open, Tomljanović defeated Sabalenka in the second round. She was then defeated by Anett Kontaveit. As a result, she reached a career-high of No. 39 on 1 April 2019
- Tomljanović started 2020 at the Brisbane International. She lost in the second round to Karolína Plíšková who became the eventual champion.
- In 2021 at the Australian Open, she lost in the second round to Simona Halep.
- At Wimbledon, she reached the quarterfinals of a Grand Slam championship for the first time in her career where she was defeated by Ashleigh Barty.
Prize Money Earnings
She has earned a total of around 4,439,159 US$ from her participation in different championships. In the year 2022 so far she has made around US$ 160,965.
Endorsements and Sponsors
- Original penguin is the company that sponsors all of her apparel and footwear on the court.
- Her tennis racquets are provided by the famous company Wilson.
- She has previously been sponsored by Nike and K-Swiss for clothing and apparel.
Ajla’s total net worth as of today is 3 million US$. While there is absolutely no confirmation on this figure, it is likely to be true due to the large amounts of cash she collects as prize money and also from her endorsements.
- Her favorite shot is backhand.
- Her favorite surface is hard.
- She speaks Croatian, English and German.
- Her favorite movie is The Hangover.
- Her favorite actor is Brad Pitt.
- Her favorite type of music is hip hop.
- Her favorite artist is Rihanna.
- Ajla likes watching basketball.
- Her pet peeve is loud chewing
- Tomljanović became an Australian citizen in January 2018.
- She was in a relationship with Australian tennis player Nick Kyrgios from 2017 to 2018.
- Since August 2019, she has been in a relationship with Italian tennis player Matteo Berrettini.
- Tomljanovic made her World TeamTennis debut with the Vegas Rollers during the 2020 WTT season played at The Greenbrier.